Re: [News] Open Source Introduced in Malaysia, Gains More Acceptance

  • Subject: Re: [News] Open Source Introduced in Malaysia, Gains More Acceptance
  • From: Snit <SNIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:31:27 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
1370536.h5H6P276Vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 12/29/06 12:08 PM:

> __/ [ Snit ] on Friday 29 December 2006 18:32 \__
>
>> "John A. Bailo" <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
>> ebqdnRDFVOGvwQjYnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on 12/29/06 11:19 AM:

>>> Is Quicken open source?
>>>
>> No.  Nor is it likely to ever be.
>>
>> Why do you ask?
>
> Just look at the types who develop and embrace Quicken, Forbes, The Street,
> Financial Times, etc. They perceive technology as stocks and their
> accompanying financial value (I see this every day as I browse through many
> dozens of financial articles). They could not care less about innovation,
> technical merits (including efficiency), fare/balanced market...

The idea is the magical market will filter for such things... a fallacy, I
agree.  I used to work for Intuit: when the founders were running the
company their was a passion to do things right... that ended when they left.
I have been gone a number of years now, so I cannot really say what their
current culture is like.

> in fact, this whole thing reminds me of people who, much like a certain
> president, talk about "The Google" and "The Internets".

Bush is right about little... and perhaps knowledgeable about less.

> Perspective matters. A lot.

No argument here.

--
? Different version numbers refer to different versions
? Macs are Macs and Apple is still making and selling Macs