Re: [News] Things to Consider When Migrating to Linux

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 00:52 \__

> On Saturday 30 December 2006 00:28 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> .... and  I was really cheered over Christmas when my son told me to ask
>>> his wife where she'd been sent for a 3-week course in Nov/Dec...... turns
>>> out
>>> her employers sent her on a Linux Admin course.  They didn't ask her -
>>> they sent her!
>>>
>>> The world is becoming penguin-shaped!
>>

>> Thanks goodness. After that last sentence I thought you were going to say
>> that it's goodbye to totality and hello to 'communism'.
>
> Heh:-)
> What I was trying to get across was that they hadn't suggested this course
> as a "nice to have", or "broaden your outlook", or "select from this list",
> this was one of those "This is the way we are going, you are going with us,
> and we need you to go on this specific course".

Sounds like an oppressive regime to me... >:-S

> She was very pleased to tell me, of course, because she knew I'd be
> pleased. Meanwhile, my #1 son (her husband) has redeemed himself in her/our
> eyes. He built a new P.C. last Saturday (hence some of my new-found
> "scrap"), and declared that it would be a "Linux-only, no Windows tax"
> machine this time, and would be mainly for his own use (the others in the
> house dual-boot). After the Christmas festivities, he started to try to
> edit videos (family stuff) on it, and create DVDs (nothing like starting
> with the easy stuff, eh?).
> He started while I was there on Thursday, and was having some problems when
> I left.
> I received an e-mail Friday to say "cracked it - and menus and chapters
> etc. almost there as well now".
> I guess that was hard going - 36 hours, and a family to run......

Sounds like a job for Cineralla (probably misspelled).

Microsoft: because poor children of the world deserve better... a 1.5-inch
screen to surf Wikipedia and compose Word documents.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/30/gates-proposes-cellphones-as-alternative-to-olpc/

        (yeah, I'm still getting a kick outta this... boy, did they hate the OLPC
         at the time. Hesistently they are trying to move to 64-bit too...)

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
Tasks: 136 total,   2 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie