Re: [News] Things to Consider When Migrating to Linux

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 00:08 \__

> On Friday 29 December 2006 23:32 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Spiritual Considerations When Switching to Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Gist ]
>
> This is all really good stuff, but too late for me:-
>
>> | # Motivate yourself
>
> I WAS motivated!  The End (for Windows!) came when my Norton went
> mammaries-up, and I'd had enough!
>
>> | # Be patient
>
> I was patient.  AFAIR, SuSE took about an hour...

Heh. It takes me a while to customise things too. You know, getting the
colours all dark, my favourite widgets in the panels... one hour. Tops. Then
it's verging excess, as in unnecessary desktop tinkering and 'KDE
masturbation'.

>> | # Be comfortable
>
> I was comfortable in the sense the author means.  We were already using
> Firefox, Thunderbird, OO.o
>
>> | # Learn
>
> I'm a failure here.  I only look something up when I need it:-(

                           Or look at something when you need
to press it. Want a program? Hit 'Applications'. No obscure logo which says
"Starts" and unfold a daunting mess of menus, including names of companies.

>> | # Don't be afraid
>
> I never thought to be afraid.... just amazed!
>
>> | # Take risks
>
> It was no risk at all - everything was backed up etc.
>
>> | # Accept Change
>
> Well, most of it was for the better.
> I suppose I've had to get used to tossing all those CDs that come with the
> H/W aside, not watching disks de-frag, not watching A.V. update itself, not
> setting up overnight virus scans.... but I can live with that.... and I can
> live with the lack of bit-rot too, I guess.....

Funky and Gates are still rethinking bit-rot.

>> | # Do it with someone else
>
> Failed again.... but at least by going it alone, my son followed, then his
> wife, then my wife, then two of our friends.....
>
> .... and  I was really cheered over Christmas when my son told me to ask
> his wife where she'd been sent for a 3-week course in Nov/Dec...... turns
> out
> her employers sent her on a Linux Admin course.  They didn't ask her - they
> sent her!
>
> The world is becoming penguin-shaped!

Thanks goodness. After that last sentence I thought you were going to say
that it's goodbye to totality and hello to 'communism'.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
 12:20am  up 72 days 10:34,  6 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.65, 0.77