Re: [News] What Vista Promises to Deliver is Already Here, for Free

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 29 December 2006 22:47 \__

> On Friday 29 December 2006 22:16 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Windows Vista Rant
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now, is there any point to this rant? Well sort of. You see there
>> | is already an operating system which does ALL the things Vista
>> | claims and has been on the user market for long enough that it's
>> | reliability and security are proven.
>> |
>> | Linux.
>> |
>> | Now, I hate Ubuntu but you can get it for free, it will do
>> | everything PCW claims are selling points for Vista and will run
>> | fast and secure on things other than the top of the range PCs.
>> | If you get Vista / Office 2007 you will need to learn new user
>> | interfaces and ways of doing things, so why not save yourself
>> | a few hundred pounds and get Linux?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.whydontyou.org.uk/blog/2006/12/29/windows-vista/
>>

>> Microsoft Looks Beyond Vista Bugs
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Reavey stated that even though the vulnerability impacts Windows
>> | Vista, he still believes that Vista is the company's most secure
>> | platform to date. The MSRC encourages all users to enable a
>> | firewall, and apply all security updates.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061229/tc_nf/49017
>>
>> Sounds like XP all over again, only with more buggy (rough edges).
>
> Ah yes, but cop for this bit:-
>
> "IT?S FASTER, MORE RELIABLE AND MORE SECURE"
>
> Follow that through.....
>
> - so XP was/is slow?
>
> - so XP was/is unreliable?
>
> - so XP was/is less secure?
>
> but what did they say about XP.....?

It's an indutry that builds upon the tactic/illusion that something is always
wrong with you and there is always some miraculous product that will fix
everything. Had an incident a while ago..

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/11/27/injury-remedy-marketing/

Sell something, promise the world. When something newer is available, curse
the old product and offer a remedy. Microsoft is all about /marketing/ and
law (or lack thereof, i.e. disorder and elevation above it).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake