Re: Ubuntu Linux 7.04 - 64-bit Versus 32-bit Benchmark

  • Subject: Re: Ubuntu Linux 7.04 - 64-bit Versus 32-bit Benchmark
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Dec 2006 15:04:06 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Ubuntu: 32-bit v. 64-bit Performance
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Looking over the results 64-bit Ubuntu was able to provide a strong
> | advantage in the GCC benchmarks with both LAME and the Linux 2.6.19
> | kernel compilation. However, a slight advantage had remained with
> | both Unreal Tournament 2004 and the LAME encoding tests in a 32-bit
> | environment. Outside of the i386 and x86_64 analysis, it is also
> | worth noting that at this time there are no real speed increases
> | between Edgy Eft and Feisty Fawn; however, this was only the first
> | Alpha (Herd) release of many to come before the April 2007 release
> | of Ubuntu 7.04.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616

So the verdict is to stay with the 32-bit version.

The 32 bit version is faster in Unreal Tournament.

The 32 bit version is faster in gzip compression.

The 64 bit version is slightly faster in compiling LAME but the 32 bit
version is faster when it comes to actually encoding mp3 files with
LAME.

The two RamSpeed tests were split between 32 and 64 bit. But the
results were effectively the same in all cases.

Where the 64 bit version really did well was when it came to compiling
the kernel.

So if you spend your days compiling the kernel or compiling the LAME
encoder than 64 bit is the way to go. But if you encode files, compress
files or do any gaming then 32 bit is the better option.