Re: [News] Microsoft Executive: The Company Won't Sue

__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Friday 29 December 2006 14:23 \__

> <snip />
>
>> | Visto Corporation has filed a legal action against Microsoft for
>> | misappropriating Visto's intellectual property...
>
> Were any /end users/ sued for using the misappropriated IP?
>
>> | Telecoms company AT&T accused Microsoft of infringing its patent for
>> | a digital speech coder in its Window software in a lawsuit it filed
>> | in 2000...
>
> Were any /end users/ sued?

>> | A bitter fight has broken out between Symantec and Microsoft.
>> | Symantec claims that Microsoft stole code from Veritas software...
>
> And are they suing any /end users/?
>

> I suspect it's probably because all the people who had their IP stolen had
> the real sense to note that it wasn't the end users who stole the IP and
> used it without consent, but rather the "publisher"/author who gave it to
> them to use - I very much doubt if the end users even knew where it
> originalted; well not until the real thieves were sued, *and* they noticed
> the news.

This explains why Ubuntu/Canonical insists on disabling subpixel hinting
(Apple patent, IIRC), avoid DVD playback capabilities and so on...

Software patents are splendid. Everybody wins.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
roy      pts/4                         Fri Dec 29 13:39 - 13:41  (00:02)