[News] 2007 - Another Year for Desktop Linux

2006: A year of surprise Linux partnerships. Or, guess who's coming to dinner

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 could be a token year for the Linux desktop, thanks in part --
| ironically enough -- to Microsoft. So said IDC in a list of predictions for
| next year anyway. Number nine on that list was that Microsoft's
| anti-piracy effort with Windows Vista would motivate users to opt for Linux
| instead of jumping through hoops to prove their license is legit.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1236186,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/ybk3wy

IDC is considered a Microsoft sockpuppet. Apart from all the
microsoft-commissioned 'studies' they do, also see some evidence:

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| ^^^
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Related:

Outlook 2007: Linux and Open Source