[News] Desktop Linux in 2006

Desktop Linux--What Happened, And What Didn't, In 2006

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, what didn't happen in 2006? Once again, major OEMs
| turned away from offering Linux pre-loaded on to laptops. Although
| some had anticipated that Lenovo might break new ground in this way,
| the company's announcement at LinuxWorld held some surprises.
|
| Lenovo's T60p is enabled to run Novell's SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise
| 10). It is receiving full phone support, and all Linux drivers needed
| are downloadable from Novell's Web site. But the PC is being sold
| with a blank hard disk. Users who want to run SLED on the desktop
| must purchase SLED licensing either direct from Novell or from a
| reseller.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6342/1/

Retaliation/scare tactics, as always.

Related:

Linux and its closing window of opportunity with OEMs

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/linux_and_its_closing_window_of_opportunity_with_oems
http://tinyurl.com/yknye9

,----[ Quote ]
| ...PC makers remain loyal to (read: scared of) Microsoft. But Linux
| is catching on like crazy in other devices, powering the sleek new
| Motorola A1200 Ming smart phone, the Sony Mylo handheld computer,
| Linksys wireless routers and TiVo digital video recorders.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0918/102e.html?partner=yahoomag

Novell's CEO:

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
`----

http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Unisys Predicts 2007 Open Source Trends

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Unisys experts, 2007 will be the year that open source
| software attains the architectural backing and distribution channels needed
| to gain acceptance from enterprise customers as a front-rank vehicle for
| deploying enterprise applications to drive business growth and innovation
| at a lower cost per transaction.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/Unisys_Predicts_2007_Open_Source_Trends
http://tinyurl.com/yytlf5