Re: GNU/Linux is in a battle for 2008

__/ [ ed ] on Monday 25 December 2006 23:12 \__

> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:56:50 +0000
>

>> Forget about it. DRM will dimish, not prosper. DRM is a disrptuive
>> techlogy, like Free software. Unliket Free software, however, it
>> works against people, not /for/ them. It robs freedom/liberty, not
>> grants it. The industry is a minority; the customers are the vast
>> majority, so they will win. DRM will sink...just like Sony's
>> mini-disk.
>
> i have one of those... i cant give the damn thing away.

Because /you/ don't want it or because _nobody else_ wants it?

Either way, DRM is the equivalent of selling licenses to use software, rather
than give full access (with the freedoms) to the software itself. These
ideas of restrictions are dying because, given the choice, people want
what's more convenient. Unless DRM or software licenses become the law
(remember that Firefox licenses insanity in the UK?), DRM will never catch
on. Also see my other long post in this thread, which indicates that labels
address demand and begin dropping DRM. Joe Bloggs doesn't understand why his
new CD won't play in the car. However, once they get these CD's labeled in
red (proposal in the UK, IIRC), he'll be sure to avoid these. Be upfront to
shopper, as you must, and  customers will wisen up.

DRM capitalised on carelessness and naivety, but it didn't last long.
Campaigns such as Defective by Design warned people and explained to them
what was going on, in case damage has already been done. It's never too
late.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S