Re: [News] RIP HTML E-mail, Microsoft Outlook Web Access

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:11:19 +0100
mrloy@xxxxxxxxx (Roy Culley) wrote:

> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<4264715.z3jbtSebDb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > DOD bars use of HTML e-mail, Outlook Web Access
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| The JTF-GNO mandated use of plain text e-mail because HTML messages
> >| pose a threat to DOD because HTML text can be infected with spyware
> >| and, in some cases, executable code that could enable intruders to
> >| gain access to DOD networks, the JTF-GNO spokesman said.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.fcw.com/article97178-12-22-06-Web
> >
> > So the death of E-mail is approached, thanks to Windows zombies that
> > spew out almost 100 billion SPAM per day, as well as Windows
> > vulnerabilities (HTML became too risky).
>
> You joke of course. E-mail will not die but just like usenet written
> text should be in ASCII IMHO. Want to send a document? Send it as an
> attachment. Won't help Windows machines being exploited of course.

well, not ascii alone. unicode is also ok. but for this we have the
Content-type mime headers, i believe they also work on usenet, i've not
seen anything recently with a content-type header though.

to outlaw outlook* would be the best move. buffer over flow errors on
mail that arrives is so bad..

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.ednevitable.co.uk
proud linux hacker