Re: [News] RIP HTML E-mail, Microsoft Outlook Web Access

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Monday 25 December 2006 14:11 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <4264715.z3jbtSebDb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> DOD bars use of HTML e-mail, Outlook Web Access
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The JTF-GNO mandated use of plain text e-mail because HTML messages
>>| pose a threat to DOD because HTML text can be infected with spyware
>>| and, in some cases, executable code that could enable intruders to
>>| gain access to DOD networks, the JTF-GNO spokesman said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fcw.com/article97178-12-22-06-Web
>>
>> So the death of E-mail is approached, thanks to Windows zombies that
>> spew out almost 100 billion SPAM per day, as well as Windows
>> vulnerabilities (HTML became too risky).
>
> You joke of course. E-mail will not die but just like usenet written
> text should be in ASCII IMHO. Want to send a document? Send it as an
> attachment. Won't help Windows machines being exploited of course.

Attachments? Uploading stuff to Webspace and linking to it is probably the
best approach. Picasa's desktop integration is a good example of this. You
needn't even be an 'expert'. A large proportion of my inbox (volume-wise)
consists people who top-post infinitely (leading to a single-line message
occupying over 100KB). The other bloat results from people who refuse to use
collboratory tools (such as Wikis). Instead, they toss TeX with 2 MB PDF's
(uncompressed of course) as an enclosure, back and fourth, to a group of
recipients (leading to multiplicity). Same with mailing lists, by the way.
This has plagued the WordPress lists and drove away some good developers, if
not led to flamewars, arguments, insults and misinterpretation.

As for your former point, E-mail will not die, but only zombies will use it.
Reminds me of Slashdot humour. In Korea, only old people use E-mail. Dead
people use Hotmail.

Related blog posts/rants:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/06/21/better-email/
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/07/19/outlook-discourages-email/

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate
Cpu(s):  21.4% user,   3.0% system,   1.1% nice,  74.5% idle