Re: Microsoft et al's preposterous claim

__/ [ JaredAngell@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 23 December 2006 13:32 \__

> I'm new to this group so shoot me down and redirect me if this has been
> brought up elsewhere...but has anyone else noticed that Microsoft and
> their ilk are using this 'There's no support for open source' argument
> a hell of a lot for something that just plain isn't the case?
>
> What are we going to do about that???

support is often/always the only source of revenue. Without good support,
OSS/Linux would not even exist. Here are some fairly recent articles to
throw to the mix...

Microsoft's Genuine Advantage

,----[ Snippet ]
| A lot of managers are afraid to use Open Source Software, because it
| doesn't come with any support. Of course that isn't true. It is a classical
| piece of FUD. And then again, how much is support worth?
|
| [...]
|
| MS:   Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
| IC:   Windows displays some strange message on my screen.
| MS:   What's the message, sir.
| IC:   ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft
| Windows is Not Present
| MS:   May I have your product key, sir.
| IC:   [gives completely valid product key]
| MS:   Ok, sir. Can you please reboot your PC?
| IC:   Will that solve the problem?
| MS:   Please reboot your PC, sir.
| IC:   Ok, ok, wait a minute.
| MS:   Please call us again if you eXPerience any more problems. Have a
| nice day, sir. [click]
`----

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/microsofts_genu.html

I work for MS but even I struggle to get a hot-fix

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem took 260 minutes to resolve from start to
| finish and an estimated 90 minutes of Ledgard's time,
| not including the time it took to write-up his problems...
| Still, the frustrations experienced by Ledgard give
| a salutary lesson that Microsoft's online product
| support is mediocre, at best, and will surely strike
| a chord with many long-suffering sys admins.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/24/ms_hot-fix_hell/

Once you've sold Vista for $600 (in the UK), support revenue seems
negligible, so the standards of support can be lowered and its priority
curtailed...

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  2:05pm  up 66 days  0:19,  6 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.72, 0.80