Re: [News] Linux in a Better Shape Than Ever Before

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 23 December 2006 08:30 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Roy Culley <mrloy@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <458c784d$0$6018$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> "amicus_curious" <ACDC@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> This is yet another admission that users cannot be led to Linux and
>>> need to be "driven".
>>
>> The average user will never be "driven" to Linux. They will be
>> enlightened. When Linux is adopted in the workplace so it will be
>> adopted at home.
>
> People have to be forced to use Google, and forced to use TomToms and so
> on, yes, they just don't do it by choice.  They have to be forced to use
> their adsl modems and routers.  None of it is by any kind of choice.
>
> Of course, when an average user turns up to a PC shop, because of
> Microsoft's illegally abused monopoly, they do not get to choose, there
> is no choice.  All the pre-installs are windows.  Ergo, users cannot be
> led to Windows, they have to be forced.

Perhaps needlessly, I would like to plug an article here:

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

It may complement this archives thread.

I use links to other people's articles not because I am unable to express my
own opinion and apply personal knowledge (I usually type my messages
sloppily). I use citations for the same people use solicitors as a
mouthpiece. Arguments are empowered when they come from a supposedly
independent source. It's somewhat of a peer review concept and not just
because of editors and careful research. Perhaps the attacks on the pearls
of wisdom from Rex are proof of all this...

Mark, have you been added to the mailing list yet? I have been sending you
E-mails, but no response. Maybe they get intercepted by filters?

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate
Mem:    514480k total,   485120k used,    29360k free,     5692k buffers