Re: [News] Linux in a Better Shape Than Ever Before

begin  risky.vbs
	<458c784d$0$6018$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	"amicus_curious" <ACDC@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> Linux Desktop 2006: better than ever
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Let's also not forget that Microsoft's Vista may yet drive users
>> | to Linux. Yes, I've said that before, but now IDC's analysts are
>> | saying it. They predict that Microsoft's big-brother-like "client
>> | operating system anti-piracy efforts will backfire. Microsoft's
>> | anti-piracy campaign will drive customers toward Linux."
>> |
>> | Burst? No, the Linux desktop has just had its best year ever. And,
>> | as the Portland project standardization efforts continue to be
>> | deployed in KDE, in GNOME, and in the desktop distributions, 2007
>> | will be better still.
>> `----
>>
>> http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS3202338982.html
>
> This is yet another admission that users cannot be led to Linux and
> need to be "driven".

The average user will never be "driven" to Linux. They will be
enlightened. When Linux is adopted in the workplace so it will be
adopted at home.

> Curious, too, that the only force seen as able to drive them seems
> to be Microsoft.  What a barren outlook that is.

The only force stopping them is MS's hold over OEM's, the ignorance of
IT managers and the anti-OSS / Linux FUD spread by MS. For your
average business / government user there is no technical reason to not
drop MS. Once OSS / Linux is widely adopted in business so will it be
taken up in the home.

The economics of OSS / Linux will succeed. The MS / Novell agreement
shows how scared MS are. MS are playing their last card. The threat
of using their patent portfolio. It won't work because MS themselves
are vulnerable to patents held by pro-OSS companies.

Didn't MS say they were betting the farm on longhorn at some point?
The fact is MS's cash cows, Windows and Office, are going to become
irrelevant. Web based services, Intranet and Internet, are where the
future lies. OS neutral. IMHO these will be java based. It is
happening now. MS have missed the boat as usual.

--
I've asked time and time again for people to prove that I primarily spout
FUD. - Funkenbusch (COLA's comedian), Sat, 2 Dec 2006