Re: [News] Novell's Linux Coupons Have No Impact on Microsoft

begin  oe_protect.scr
William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:22:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Friday 22 December 2006 19:03 \__

>>> Meh, don't bother about Bailo. AFAIC Novell's nothing more than a M$
>>> mouthpiece now.
>>
>> Clearly. But John prefers not to know about it. I think he's got an
>> investment, so his pocket says one thing while the mind contradicts. It's
>> the same two-faced approach that leads proprietary software vendors to
>> spreading anti-Linux FUD, despite the fact they don't believe it. They'll
>> cling on to anything, even if it's the bashing that their peers spew out.
>> Just look at all the lobbying...
>>
>> Published 5 minutes ago...
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/12/22/open-british-education/
>>
>> Received the following this morning...
>>
>> http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2171542/education-driving-force-behind
>>
>> "Malcolm Trobe, head teacher and president of the ASCL, claimed that while
>> they recognised the budget implications shared by Mcguire and Pugh, common
>> specifications and interoperability found in proprietary software would do
>> more to benefit school children.
>
> Rubbish. Unless these benefits being taught are how to avoid
> viruses/trojans & malware.....you know, the everyday "features" of a
> certain proprietary OS.
>
>> ?Nearly every household has a PC with Microsoft Office installed and many
>> students have grown up using it," he claimed. "For those who have not got
>> the software at home, schools can either provide students with a licence
>> and unique password or students can buy the software at special student
>> prices.?
>
> IMO they're also relying on the ignorance of these households not to have
> tried opensource software, such as OOo.

But also, not every household has a PC with Microsoft Office installed,
and many students have grown up with other software.  Indeed, most
students almost certainly have an iPod.  For those students who do not
have software at home, they can have free software without any concerns
regarding licensing charges, and no need for "special student prices".

If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow
morning, sleep late.
		-- Henny Youngman