Re: Linus in Defence of DRM?

__/ [chrisv] on Saturday 04 February 2006 11:45 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> This was on Slashdot yesterday, but here's a story from ZDNet.
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6034964.html
>>     (Torvalds says DRM isn't necessarily bad)
>>
>> "Provisions against digital rights management in a draft update to the
>> General Public License could undermine computer security, Linus Torvalds
>> said this week in e-mails reflecting the Linux leader's pragmatic
>> philosophy."
>
> Linus is right, as usual...  We're lucky to have such a level-headed
> person as a leader.

Some used to argue that the closed-source design model would provide
security, too. Look where we stand today. Not only Microsoft Windows suffers
from attacks and severe exploits. It encourages poorer design and less
elegant code-writing practices.

That apart, fighting DRM is almost like sidling with piracy, at least at some
blackhat level. This could potentially reflect badly on Linux users and
developers, OSDL included.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
  3:15pm  up 18 days 10:31,  11 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.24, 0.09