Re: Aggregate Feeds Script

__/ [Andy Dingley] on Saturday 04 February 2006 16:24 \__

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:11:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Is there any simple script (for instance one which is written in PHP) that
>>aggregates various RSS feeds (possibly different versions) and delivers one
>>uniform RSS feed?
>
> Dozens of them, none simple. Just web searching "RSS aggregator" will
> find them.
>
> It's fairly easy to make a crude one. The hard parts are:
>
>  - The multiplicity of RSS formats, particularly for encoding HTML
> content within a <description>
>
>  - The invalidity of many RSS feeds, and most of them from time to time.
> You can't make a real "commercial grade" RSS parser on top of an XML
> parser - RSS just isn't reliably valid as XML (HTML character entities
> are the regular culprits).
>
>  - Filtering by item. It's of little use to simply merge a number of
> feeds, as the volume just gets large and the content uninteresting. The
> exciting work is in how to recognise relevant content to make a filtered
> feed from many sources.

Thanks, Andy. The advice was a useful one.

I have come across Magpie < http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/ > in the past,
but it does not appear to achieve the task at hand. As I continue to explore
using search engines, I fail to find relevant scripts. I tried many
different search phrases to no avail. I could find one tool <
http://www.rssmix.com/ > that aggregates, but 'offshores' the feeds, much
like Feedburner. I'll continue searching for something I can install and use
locally...

Cheers,