Re: Cheap LAMP shared server; How to run a .SH setup script for an app?

  • Subject: Re: Cheap LAMP shared server; How to run a .SH setup script for an app?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:46:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Al Dykes] on Thursday 09 February 2006 17:29 \__

> In my quest to set up my first web application I keep hitting walls.
> I'll learn, eventually.  I want stuff that will run on a cheapo shared
> LAMP server.
>
> I'm trying to set up MoniWiki and the fist step is to run a .sh script
> (below). it looks like it sets perms and then edits the PHP files
> to insert the group names for this machine.
>
> How do I execute this script on a host that doesn't give me a Unix
> shell?
>
> Is trying to use a non-shell host for anything beyond minimal toy
> applications futile?

If the host has got cPanel installed, make use of the cron job facility.
There is a workaround:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/

If no luck comes your way, you could install php-shell and then play on your
shared server in (restricted) command-line mode:

http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/

Good luck,