Re: Linux as an alternative for Windows for non computer people

  • Subject: Re: Linux as an alternative for Windows for non computer people
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:51:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [gregjgman@xxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 09 February 2006 18:06 \__

> I'm getting ready to buy a new computer for my parents.
>
> They are NOT tech savvy and it's a pain for them to update antivirus
> software etc....

I feel your pain. I have to maintain my parents' computers whenever I come. I
urge them to move to Linux (albeit I fear becoming the teacher or 'support
guy'), but they are still at that earlier step, which is using Open Source
software like Firefox and Thunderbird. I installed some Web-based
applications for them too, which makes them platform-independent already.

The only issue at the moment is my little sister who plays computer games on
both computer and my older sister who works for MS-inclined IT companies. I
suppose you have none of these issues and can also sort out dual-boot,if
required.

> I played around with Mandrake and Redhat Linux a few years ago, but it
> still seemed to require a geek to tweak it properly.

When I used Red Hat back in 2000, I too thought that Linux lagged behind
Windows in terms of ease-of-use. Fortunately (for the argument here),
Windows has made no significant progress since. It has devolved into an O/S
that requires extra skills (security-related) and is more prone to breakage.

> But the following article has inspired me to rethink my attitude
> towards Linux

> One advantage I would see of using Linux for my parents' computer is
> that they would be less prone to viruses correct?

Yes. See above.

> And we'd save a lot of money on getting them a computer without an OS
> loaded.

Make sure you buy from a shop or vendor that clearly separates the hardware
from the software. Find out if there are *additional* fees for Windows.
Don't let them rip you off or pocket the margin they save on the licences.

> But the issue that I ran into when setting up my dual boot with Linux a
> few years ago was back then, I was on dialup and would have needed a
> special winmodem to dial up on line with Linux.

Check what modem they have.

> My parents are still on dial-up and are not likely to be going
> broadband any time soon.

Either way, modems are not expensive in comparison with a brand-new computer.
Some Winmodems may work 'out of the box' with Linux, but I am not qualified
to comment on that further.

> Would this still be an issue today with the right distribution of
> Linux?

You could probably check the manufacturer's Web site.

> If I got them Linux and Open Office, would all of their computer needs
> be met if all they do is use it to surf and send e-mail?
>
> Greg

Definitely. If they ever need more, you would better ask them. Gaming is the
only drawback I can think of. Will they play Quake 3? *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  6:35pm  up 23 days 13:51,  11 users,  load average: 1.28, 0.92, 0.74