Re: Oracle Embracing Open Source

__/ [B Gruff] on Friday 10 February 2006 01:34 \__

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060209_810527.htm

> " The open-source community may be in for a jolt. Oracle (ORCL) is plotting
> what could be the biggest endorsement yet by a mainstream software company
> for a movement that involves legions of developers across the globe who
> publish "open" software distributed freely over the Net, making money
> instead from support and maintenance"
>
> "Oracle's Ellison girded investors for an open-source push at a Feb. 8
> conference in Santa Monica, Calif., saying, "We are moving aggressively
> into open source. We are embracing it. We are not going to fight this
> trend. We think if we're clever, we can make it work to our advantage.""

Update:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/oracle_opens_source_acquisition/

[Oracle in talks to consume three open source darlings - report]

"Oracle is in talks to buy three open source companies in a strategy that
would potentially reinforce the company's middleware against low-priced
competitors, according to a report in BusinessWeek.

The database and applications giant is talking to JBoss, Zend Technologies
and Sleepycat Software about deals that could exceed $600m, the magazine
reported. JBoss is seeking up to $400m and Zend could settle for $200m,
while no figure was given for Sleepycat. Rumors of an Oracle and JBoss deal
have circulated for awhile, but BusinessWeek is the first to claim all three
companies are targets."

Hoping this adds something,