Re: VICTORY FOR LINUX!

__/ [Sig Sauer] on Friday 10 February 2006 12:49 \__

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:15:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Thumbs up for Mandriva 2006 and great job prodding your boss, Sig. That
>> friend's parents, by the way, run a factory with about a dozen machines.
>> He is now urging them to consider Linux, so words and skills evidently
>> propagate.
>
>    There is an unfortunate side to this, each location has only one
> machine used for full internet access, these are the machines that will
> have Linux installed on them, the machines that run the "practice
> management" software run Windows. The software is Windows only, there are
> 3 or 4 of these machines in each office that connect to a server with a
> centralized DB via VPN. It is a shame that the software won't run on
> Linux. So Windows will still be used for most work being done. The
> isolation of these machines from the internet is a MUST since they have
> all of the patient data and billing/financial data for each location.
>   I still consider making this change to Linux as a major accomplishment.
> These are VERY professional Eye Doctors. They are outstanding in their
> fields, but they aren't the most computer literate bunch of folks. They
> feel comfortable with Windows, because that is what they know. Getting
> them to make this change was no small task. It isn't surprising that the
> decision was made due to the inherint insecurity of Windows.
>    I find it amusing to no end that the biggest reason to switch to Linux
> is brought on by the problems that plague Windows. In this instance,
> Windows itself played the Linux advocate.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sig

Any migration takes time. The old 'cycle' of software needs to gather some
mold and erode in due time. If the doctors find happiness in Linux (which I
am convinced they will), then next time they purchase software, it will be
for GNU/Linux.

Intersting that you mentioned eye doctors. I gave a talk on data recovery and
computer security to some eye doctors several months back [1]. Guess why
they requested the talk on these topics?

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/Speaking/2005/September/Security/ (XHTML/CSS)
    http://www.schestowitz.com/Speaking/2005/September/Data_Recovery/

As one last thing: I did not neglect to encourage them to ditch Windows.