Re: Am I paranoid or can someone eavesdrop?

  • Subject: Re: Am I paranoid or can someone eavesdrop?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:34:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [Mark BR] on Sunday 12 February 2006 05:26 \__

> Am I paranoid or can someone eavesdrop on me using my computer, microphone
> and broadband connection?
>

> With Spyware, keyloggers etc. is it possible that a program can be
> installed on my machine that enables a remote person to listen without my
> knowledge?
>

> My assumption is it is possible, so a secondary question is has it been
> done yet?
>

> These thoughts came up as I didn't answer a Skype call, but hoped that the
> caller didn't hear me say "Oh not them again" or words to that effect!
>

> Mark BR

  "SPYWARE IN EUROPE - Spies per consumer PC

   UK: 21.6
   Norway: 20.3
   Sweden: 19.1
   Lithuania: 17.2
   Slovenia: 15"

If you get the latest patches and use a secure browser like Opera, Firefox,
Netscape or Mozilla, you will probably be on the safe side. Also ensure you
get good AV software and permanently have the Firewall enabled.

Alternatively, consider secure operating systems like GNU/Linux or Mac O/S.
Such problems are merely non-existent as the notion of admin privileges,
trusted sources, and the corresponding restrictions (as opposed to leniency)
make it so.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:25am  up 26 days  2:41,  32 users,  load average: 0.81, 1.10, 0.88