Re: Speculation: Apple to Buy Palm

  • Subject: Re: Speculation: Apple to Buy Palm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:24:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [Jeffrey Kaplan] on Friday 10 February 2006 19:55 \__

> It is alleged that Roy Schestowitz claimed:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification, Jeffrey. This makes perfect sense.
>>
>> I hope that, if true, Apple premium costs do not apply to Palm devices. I
>> also hope that lock-ins are not part of the deal and that existing Linux
>> conduits are never broken. It is about time Palm themeselves catered for
>> Linux, probably in the form of a compilable version of Palm Desktop. I am
>> losing my patience, not for that reason alone.
>
> Consider for a moment that Mac OSX is itself an implementation of UNIX.

True, but still hypothetically speaking, would Apple take Brushed and Aqua to
conquer or make obsolete the good ol' Palm UI? Would they honour their
origins and cater for Linux users too? There are launchers and enhancements
that make the UI assimilate to Windows XP and Jaguar/Tiger, but one wonders
if Apple could use Palm as a jumping board to an iPDA or a PDApod...

Again I emphasise, all is hypothetical. I think that Apple are said to be
interested in a share, a bite rather than a takeover anyhow.