Re: Speculation: Apple to Buy Palm

  • Subject: Re: Speculation: Apple to Buy Palm
  • From: Guy Bannis <guy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:44:45 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
In article <dsif7p$3u$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> Apple have already announced their plan to make a phone, perhaps an iPod
> 'mutant'. I can try to chase some links if you like. It was around 3 months
> ago that Steve Jobs said it. In fact, it'll take me just seconds to find
> it...
>
> The link I had from the Chicago Tribute is now broken (404), so here's the
> results of a search:
>
> It's not yet a PDA, but here's a motive to a Palm acquisition, I guess.
>
> http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39152205,00.htm

No such announcement from Apple there or anywhere. It didn't happen.

It's also doubtful that Apple would buy a company (Palm) that licenses
an operating system from someone else (Access) just to sell hardware
that it doesn't design or make.

If anything, Apple would develop its own OS for a handheld device, as it
did for the iPod.