Re: Windows Vista to Have 50% Market Share?

__/ [George Ellison] on Saturday 11 February 2006 03:50 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1925173,00.asp
>>         [ One In Two PCs Won't Run Vista's 3D Interface ]
>>
>> "...After years of delays and several feature revisions, one of Vista's
>> main selling points is the Aero Glass interface..."
>>
>> Use this as an argument to migrate people to Linux rather than encourage
>> them to buy a new workstation (accompanies by the 'Microsoft tax').
>
> True enough, but by the time Vista hits, most of the Pentium III/IV
> desktops that make up most of the non-hardcore user base will be on the
> chopping block anyways, and even the cheaper PC's coming out now seem to be
> close enough to the specs.

It misses the point, however, because a user need not purchase new hardware.
Direct your non-hardcore user to SuSE, Ubuntu or Mandriva (among the other
non-hardcore distributions) and (s)he will be contented.

> Not that I'll ever run Vista myself, bear in mind. (Maybe once it hits, I
> can snap up some machines on the cheap to play with. It's a pain in the ass
> to try out new operating systems/distros when all you've got is one PC).

Are you really referring to "trying out"? "Testing" maybe? Hardware
compatibility to mention one aspect among many?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
  4:55am  up 25 days  0:11,  10 users,  load average: 1.98, 1.36, 0.93