Re: Big Problem with Google

__/ [tochiro] on Monday 13 February 2006 11:32 \__

> Hello,
>
> I recently changed my domain name and have put the following line in an
> htaccess file in my old site:
>
> redirect permanent / http://www.myn ewsite.com/index.php
>
> The files names are the same in my old and new site, it is just a change
> in the domain name.
>
> Now Google still displays my former URLs but when you click on it you
> get a message saying "No input file specified."
>
> The reason is that the URL is in the form:
> www.myn ewsite.com/index.phpbacs.php (bacs.php is one of the pages in my
> site).
>
> Can you please help me?
>
> Thank you

Why did you not redirect to "http://www.myn ewsite.com"? (truncations
intentional, you are flagging 404's in somebody else's site, so use
example.org/com instead)

You are lucky if Google are still listing your former URL's because they are
linking to bad URL's. To Google, it means many dissatisfied surfers whose
referrals was unfruitful. You could possible set up a rewrite rule in Apache
to fix the damage done and make sure that all referrals reach the correct
pages. Be aware that redirections often have a cost and your pages lose
'energy' if redirections are involved in the path that leads to them. All in
all, redirect with careful attention to details and see the guidelines on
error status 301, e.g.:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E301.html

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 11:30am  up 27 days  6:31,  13 users,  load average: 1.37, 0.68, 0.40