Re: KDE Vista Lookalike

__/ [George Ellison] on Monday 13 February 2006 16:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=35 ...
>> 197&file1=35197-1.jpg&file2=35197-2.jpg&file3=&name=PCLinuxOS ...
>> +Clear+Blue+Start+kbfx
>>
>> OR
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cus2f
>>
>> Seems like an attempt at a Vista clone, maybe even Aero. Put that together
>> with shadows and transparency [1] and you soon reach the conclusion that
>> /stable/ eye candy is well ahead of the Windows miletones. Then come to
>> consider OSX, from which inspiration for widgets, certain icons and visual
>> effects has probably originated from.
>>
>> Ironically, a release called /Vista/ has nothing genuine to offer to
>> desktop appearance.
>>
>> [1] http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=35214
>
> Kompmgr really isn't all that stable at this point, especially considering
> that RenderAccel is needed to make it work decent, and that's just a
> recipe for trouble.

Xgl should accelerate everything. It should also make the wobbling (or
"swinging") menus far less strenuous on the CPU. This prematurity, in fact,
is why the KDE team insisted on having a prompt to warn that such features
are experimental (proof-of-concept). That warning cannot even be suppressed
by the user, which illustrates the severity.

That apart, kompmgr does a decent job, even on version 3.4. No drawing
inconsistency is critical or even worrisome if it ever arises. It's eye
candy we are talking about, not the filesystem or even widgets that can
intervene with files, i.e. write to them in an irreversible manner.