Re: Java jive

  • Subject: Re: Java jive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:55:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 21:27 \__

> I know that some FireFox users on both Linux and Windows have been
> holding back, sticking with 1.07 until some of the patches and problem
> resolutions have been handled.  FireFox 1.5 is appearantly quite a ibt
> different, especially in how it interacts with some plug-ins and Java.
> Ultimately it's supposed to be an improvement, but many applications
> and plug-ins have not yet been updated.
>
> I had been using an RSS viewer that had not been upgraded yet, and had
> to fall back for now.
>
> Normally, users hold off installing and committing to a ".0" release -
> such as 2.0, because there are new features and new interfaces.  Even
> though Firefox 1.5 is being called a .5 release, it's more like a .0
> release.

I concur with Rex on that one. I insist on using 1.0.x, even though I tried
Firefox 1.5 alphas and betas in the past. The gain does not provide a
compelling enough reason to migrate, yet.

I wanted to have the two versions of Firefox, but both want to /capture/,
rather than share, the same profile directory. In turn, they only seem to be
bastardising it, so keep backups of your profile in its entirety or crate a
second profile to be set aside. Putting 2 foxes in the same cage is a recipe
for disaster, it seems. It leads them to a brawl where dog eats dog and
settings 'glue' is being lost. You may find yourself running back to
settings as you once knew them, but bear in mind that plug-in compatibility
with different versions is an impediment.