Re: Picasa to be ported to Linux

  • Subject: Re: Picasa to be ported to Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:41:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [piperut] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:02 \__

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just found this news story:
>
> Picasa is under beta testing to be ported to Linux:
>
> http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060214-084213
>
> That is about all it says.  However, it sounds hopeful.
>
> roland

They are doing this port through WinE if I understood this correctly.
Nonetheless, this seems to be the first application among a series, which
should work rather fast (despite the 'WinE-layer' penalty) and be
cross-distribution (probably self-contained, no 'dependency hell').

The Windows Pack (distribution) is probably the sum of all applications that
are due to become available to a more saturated range of platforms. Mind
you, Google use Ubuntu on their desktops, so they need access to their own
toys (apps) *smile*.

Best wishes,