Re: Ten Reasons to Buy Windows Vista, Five Things That Will Give You Pause

  • Subject: Re: Ten Reasons to Buy Windows Vista, Five Things That Will Give You Pause
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:02:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Robert Newson] on Sunday 19 February 2006 00:24 \__

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ttpcworld/20060210/tc_techtues_pcworld/124642&cid=1740&ncid=1729

> "1. Security, security, security: Windows XP Service Pack 2 patched a lot
> of holes, but Vista takes security to the next level. There are literally
> too many changes to list here, from the bidirectional software firewall
> that monitors inbound and outbound traffic...
>
> "Perhaps most crucial (and least sexy) is the long-overdue User Account
> Protection, which invokes administrator privileges as needed...
>
> "2. Internet Explorer 7: IE gets a much-needed, Firefox-inspired
> makeover...
>
> "...IE7 on Vista will run in what Microsoft calls "protected mode"--a
> limited-rights mode that prevents third-party code from reaching your
> system. It's about darn time.
>

> "Pay that piper: ...it'll cost $100 or more to make the switch...you may be
> better off saving the money for something else.
>
> "Where's my antivirus?: For all the hype about security in Windows Vista,
> users may be disappointed to learn that antivirus software will not be part
> of the package...
>
> "Watch that hourglass: Vista is a power hog...
>
> "Curse the learning curve: ...it took me almost five minutes to find the
> Run command, which used to show up right in the Start menu..."

The author is clearly biased. Rather than speaking about reasons to buy
Windows Vista to _replace OSX or Linux_, only _Windows is as an upgrade_ has
been contained in terms of scope. There is no discussion which involves
other products (operating systems), although they could fit rather aptly. If
this was produced as a technical paper, it would be labelled "not broad
enough" and be discarded altogether.

Roy

PS - I ought to have mentioned in my last paragraph that Windows Vista
proved, in many among these points, only plays catch-up with competitors.
Should that not provide a clue?

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomasters.com
  2:55am  up 1 day 15:14,  10 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.44, 0.47