Re: Ten Reasons to Buy Windows Vista, Five Things That Will Give You Pause

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:02:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> PS - I ought to have mentioned in my last paragraph that Windows Vista
> proved, in many among these points, only plays catch-up with competitors.
> Should that not provide a clue?

While it's true that features like Tabs are catchup to competitors, other
features, like Quick Search and Widgets, were demo'd long before
competitors had them or even started work on them.  But, because those
competitors (namely, Apple, could ship a far less ambitious upgrade to end
users and expect them to pay $99 for it, they could get it out faster).

Further, there's lots of stuff in Vista that the competitors don't yet
have, though again, they may have before Vista ships.  Firefox, for
instance, doesn't have any built-in equivelent to Quick Tabs, though there
is an add-on that provides something similar (though not quite the same).

No other browser has anything like Low Rights IE which goes even beyond
running IE as a non-priviledge user.  It only runs IE with as many
privileges as it needs (mostly to write to a temporary folder and network
access).

Yes, Vista has a lot of catching up to do, but it's also surpassing the
competiting in a lot of ways.