Re: Yahoo stealing my bandwidth

  • Subject: Re: Yahoo stealing my bandwidth
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:51:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Rastus ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 04:12 \__

>> Just today it seems that MyYahoo has started hotlinking to the
>> favicon.ico file associated with each RSS feed that users have added to
>> their MyYahoo page.  I have a pretty popular RSS feed and since this
>> hotlinking started, my server load has gone through the roof. I have
>> already reconfigured apache to deny requests to my favicon file with a
>> referrer of yahoo, but apache is still wasting 90% of its time denying
>> all these requests.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any way to prevent Yahoo from hotlinking to my
>> favicon file?
>
> Not sure how to asnwer the exact request - but are you blocking them at
> httpd.conf level or just .htaccess? If you have access to the httpd.conf
> then it is much more efficient to place your access rules there.
>
> As for removing the problem at the source, that is a much bigger and more
> difficult problem. It seems search engines have free range to hotlink
> whatever they wish as they have the power of popular opinion behind them.

Putting filtering aside, why has the OP not contacted Yahoo yet? Either they
have some real nerve or they simply employ incompetent engineers. This ought
to be pointed out to them, so that other sites don't get victimised once
your HotLinking denial is in tact. If it weren't a standardised location
such as ~/favicon.ico , then you could substitude the location, pointing
your visitors at the right place while serving Yahoo with indecent icons.
With many furious Yahoo customers, they would have immediately gotten the
message.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
 10:45am  up 4 days 23:04,  9 users,  load average: 0.86, 1.12, 0.97