Re: "If you build it, they will come"

__/ [ becco ] on Friday 24 February 2006 13:45 \__

> John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>  We know it's out there, but it only now
>>> seems to be approaching the tipping point.
>>
>> I'm getting the sense now that public interest in Linux is really
>> accelerating.
>>
>> I'm actually glad it took this long, since Linux has improved so much each
>> year.
>>
>> I think that very shortly, if a company were to begin promoting a Linux
>> desktop to the mass market, or some part of it, it would be a runaway best
>> seller.
>>
>> I'm hoping that it would be something like a Suse 10 that makes the cut.
>
> I hope it won't be an RPM based distro!

Whether RPM or Deb (or whatever else for that matter), if it works, it works.
If it's trivial, why complain? I have good experiences with both. Ubuntu is
ahead only because I have not burned all the SuSE CD's. YaST handles RPM's
and it keeps requiring them. Other than that, both are reliable front-ends
to package installation and they truly obviate the need for ./configure,
make, sudo make install.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Have you hugged your penguin today?
  2:15pm  up 7 days  2:34,  8 users,  load average: 1.20, 0.86, 0.55