Re: $100 Linux Laptop: 150 Million Units per Year

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 00:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> "Professor Negroponte predicts there could be 100 million to 150 million
>> shipped every year by 2007."
>>
>> Could this be realistic?
>
> I don't know what this raving nut and MIT professor could possibly
> be trying to do.
>
> The $150 complete PC with 15" monitor is already available
> commercially shipping with Linux.
> Ok $50 is 50% more than $100, but it is still a full blown PC
> and it doesn't require committment of the order of 150 million
> crippled laptops to be manufactured.
>
> Its far better to spend some money on commercial off the shelf
> PCs to bring its price down through volume purchasing
> and subsidies than committing to crippled laptops surely?

* Not everyone in the world has a desk.

* Not everyone has electricity readily available.

* Durability of the unit is a crucial factor too.

A $150 complete PC with 15" monitor is already available commercially
shipping with Linux (including tax I presume)? Show me!! *smile*