Re: $100 Linux Laptop: 150 Million Units per Year

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 15:42 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 00:24 \__

>>> I don't know what this raving nut and MIT professor could possibly
>>> be trying to do.
>>>
>>> The $150 complete PC with 15" monitor is already available
>>> commercially shipping with Linux.
>>> Ok $50 is 50% more than $100, but it is still a full blown PC
>>> and it doesn't require committment of the order of 150 million
>>> crippled laptops to be manufactured.
>>>
>>> Its far better to spend some money on commercial off the shelf
>>> PCs to bring its price down through volume purchasing
>>> and subsidies than committing to crippled laptops surely?
>>
>> * Not everyone in the world has a desk.
>>
>> * Not everyone has electricity readily available.
>>
>> * Durability of the unit is a crucial factor too.
>>
>> A $150 complete PC with 15" monitor is already available commercially
>> shipping with Linux (including tax I presume)? Show me!! *smile*
>>
>> Roy
>
> Old news..
> Just google for India / 10,000 rupee computer.
> It uses the mercury / kobian EPIA mboard that comes with the VIA CPU.
> I have the same mboard from www.techfever.co.uk
> booting off of USB sticks, AND SD card + MMC card (with appropriate card
> reader - not all readers do that properly).
> Since the news went public these mboards are like gold dust now!!!

I read about it back in August:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4735927.stm

I also blogged about it immediately. I never realised it had transcended the
borders of India and reached the UK. Intersting! This could have more impact
than eSys offerings.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  3:55pm  up 8 days  4:14,  9 users,  load average: 1.11, 1.24, 0.98