Re: Dell+Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Dell+Linux?
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 25 Feb 2006 09:14:22 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • References: <464cmpF9ebu3U1@individual.net> <zpnLf.25355$wl.21290@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <1140721155.104466.315740@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com> <WFuLf.25600$wl.24550@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <1140750702.193516.273520@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com> <FkJLf.25982$wl.15684@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <1140812382.086414.113730@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> <5mNLf.26103$wl.5720@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk> <dtoh47$29tt$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <1140879426.344335.229340@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> <dtq265$11no$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 14:57 \__
>

> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> __/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 00:17 \__

> >> Larry, this has taken the *exact* same route as our conversation elsewhere
> >> in this thread. The quantity argument is void. Period. Market is driven by
> >> demand. Order 10,000 units from EBuyer and the company will immediately
> >> grow. Dell Computers used to be a small company in a Houston dorm too.
> >

> > --> The quantity argument is void. Period. Market is driven by demand.
> > Order 10,000 units from EBuyer and the company will immediately grow.
> >

> > Maybe it would help if you explained why you believe quantity doesn't
> > matter. Dell computers sells about 4 computers/second. This means that
> > every second of every day there are essentially 4 more people out there
> > using Windows that could have been using Linux.
> >
> > I just don't see how anyone could say that it doesn't matter if Dell
> > endorses Linux or not. EBuyer endorses Linux so who cares about Dell. I
> > just don't follow the logic here... could you explain?
> >
> > Thanks - LQ
>
> No  problem, Larry. I appreciate the fact that you correctly interpet  the
> tone of 'electronic voices'.
>
> EBuyer could not handle 4 computers/second, but pace takes time to attain.
> It  is an issue of momentum. I can't see how you actually address my  sen-
> tence  which  you quoted. It turn, this leaves me baffled. It is  also  as
> though  you shift the tide of arguments to a contention which is only  im-
> plicitly  related  but not directly related to the subject at  hand.  This
> makes it harder for me to push forward this discussion with you.
>
> Put  simply, a company orders 300 units from EBuyer/eSys, EBuyer hire more
> people.  The  following  month, /two/ companies order 300 units  each,  so
> EBuyer  can  deliver  promptly  and open a new  branch.  One  year  later,
> EBuyer/eSys  are  modest-sized companies that can deliver one machine  per
> minute  and  years down the line, who knows? Growth takes time,  but  this
> does  not  invalidate a small company's potential to sell  equipment.  The
> workforce is out there waiting for local demand to rise.

Yes, yes, yes. I get it and I understand how "growth" happens in a
company. I've seen it first hand in places I've worked. But I'm not
talking about growth even though the topic has drifted in that
direction.

The point I'm trying to make is the influence a computer maker has on
the market. You mentioned that "markets are driven by demand" which is
true but Dell creates it's own demand by advertising on the internet,
television, magazines, newspapers, billboards, etc. I'm going to
simplify this a little bit but here's how I currently see the two
positions here:

Me -> It would be a huge boost for Linux if a large PC maker like Dell
were to prominently advertise and sell Linux systems.

Other -> eSys is that LARGE maker so it doesn't matter if Dell supports
Linux or not.

If a company the size of Dell were to push Linux (and I mean really
push Linux and not sell some system it takes 14 clicks to find on their
web-site) it would do more to advance Linux than someone like eSys
selling Linux. If anything... Dell and HP adopting Linux and bringing
it into the mainstream would be a net positive for smaller Linux
vendors.

I'm not trying to be difficult but I just don't understand the logic of
thinking that it doesn't matter one way or another if someone like Dell
or HP support Linux because eSys is doing so.