Re: How to start Apache server

<posted & mailed>

__/ [ Henk Oegema ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 18:27 \__

> I have installed Apache2 via Yast.(SuSE9.3)
>
> In the Suse Administration Guide documentation, section 30.5.2, is written:
> "After installation, Apache must be activated as a service in the runlevel
> editor.To start it during system boot, check runlevels 3 and 5 in the
> runlevel editor. To test whether Apache is running, go to http://localhost/
> in a browser. If Apache is active, see an example page, assuming
> apache2-example-pages is installed."
>
> Question: HOW do I start apache in the runlevel editor?
> Please I need some help here, since I have no idea how to go about it.
>
> Thanks
> Henk

While this does not address the question directly (George has already made a
suggestion: 'Run "yast", choose "system", "runlevel editor", "runlevel
properties". Find the "apache" line and choose 3 and 5 levels. You may
choose to start it and finish or else reboot after finishing.'), if you
merely want to make a public Webspace available from your workstation,
there's an easy route.

* mkdir ~/public_html
* chmod 755 ~/public_html
* In the KDE main panel, open context menu
* Add -> Applet -> Public File Server
* Go through the simple wizard
* Note: you might have to adjust firewall policies accordingly (under YasT ->
Network)