Re: Opinions on new PDA please

__/ [ Martin ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 23:00 \__

> "Flunkett Clogwheel" <plunket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "Windows on the desktop is on its way out."
>>
>> Dreamer. Linux has failed to make a significant impact on the home market
>> even though it is free. Its just a small cluster of fanatics that like
>> using poor buggy software to avoid paying for an OS.
>>
>> It all comes back to cost of ownership. Whilst linux is more secure, it is
>> also a nightmare for the average joe to do anything useful with. Get over
>> linux, the quality of the apps will never be as good as those available on
>> the windows platform, because quality programmers don't work for free.

I strongly disagree with this. Good programmers can earn considerable amounts
of money in their spare time (e.g. consulting) so that they can pursue their
passion and attain fame, rather than accrue profits.

>> Beware of anything based upon the 'free' principle - you get what you pay
>> for.
>> I gave up trying to edit audio and video with linux. The apps were micky
>> mouse and a nightmare to install.

There are distrobutions that are aimed specifically at sound or audio.
Everything is pre-installed and included in the core.

> I have to agree. I had a go at installing Linux on a laptop just to see if
> it's any better than last time I tried (about 3 years ago) using Mandriva.
> It installed fine, but seemed as bloated as Windows XP, eating up a large
> portion of the hard drive. I'd even say it ran slower than XP on that
> laptop. I quickly became tired trying to get the WiFi to work with it. I
> read plenty from geeks who seemed to be happy to spend a whole day getting
> it to work. Well I couldn't. But the REAL NIGHTMARE was the fact that Linux
> really fucks up the hard drive. I had a real job getting the full capacity
> of the hard drive back as FDISK didn't want to know and I then spent hours
> pissing around trying to sort out the hard drive to put XP back on.
>
> Never again. I'm sure Linux is fine for some people but until the
> manufacturers supply as standard proper drivers of their hardware Linux
> will never get any real traction for home users.

If you have no tolerance for initial setup of hardware,simply  buy a Linux
workstation as opposed to attempting a conversion of a "designed for Windows
XP(R) Pro" unit. Dell, HP (as well as many other smaller vendors) are
selling pre-installed and fully-supported workstations and laptops. These
are based on SuSE, Red Hat or Ubuntu rather typically.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/precn_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:20am  up 8 days 16:39,  10 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.80, 0.78