Re: 6 Versions of Vista - Are they nuts?

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Monday 27 February 2006 16:52 \__

> On 2006-02-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft are *not* adopting the Linux abnormal and ego-attributed
>> fragmentation.
>
>  Can you expand on the viewpoint that would generate this statement?
> What do you consider "fragmentation" in Linux? Why is it "abnormal" (and
> in relation to what)? Why do you characterize it as "ego-attributed"?

I will gladly clarify my clumsy initial phrasing. Fragmentation and diversity
are two issues which sadly get entwined.

In Linux, it is a true treasure to have many different tools for any given
task. What I had in mind when I wrote this were incosistent paths and
conventions. That continues to pose a barrier in front of those that wish to
migrate from one distribution to another or even build a single binary or
installation package that works seamlessly in a variety of environment. I am
a devloper myself, bear in mind.

That's where centralisation through negotiation helps, but I believe that
*roots* and history (not "ego") get in the way. As regards "abnormal", the
*nix 'family' is just one among many distictive operating systems if you
include Symbian, Palm O/S, as well as the giants, *nix is rather different.
It is free, it's is Open and, being an /extended/ family, it has many
identities.

>> Developers
>> (software, Web, etc.) will no longer be able to target an individual
>> Windows user with confidence as to tools available at hand. Forking is
>> /always/ a bad idea if its avoidance is a possibility.
>
>  I recall the many programs that had to distribute VBRUN*.DLL with them
> in order to be sure of working.

Some people with Windows 98/NT/ME/2000 still get that error spewed out on
every startup. It was more common with 3.11.

>> It would take *many* years (decades?) before
>> farmers in third-world countries have use for a computer.
>
>  I can think of many ways that access to information would improve the
> life of even a third-world farmer. Knowledge about farming - improving
> yield, pest control, etc. Price forecasts to help select what crop(s) to
> grow. Instructions on how to repair what equipment they may have.
>
>  Knowledge of how to diagnose, manage, and treat many diseases. First
> aid.
>
>  Then there's the ability to communicate with others - not just family,
> but also for political organization. Letting their children (or even
> they themselves) get an education. A laptop tutor isn't as good as a
> regular school, but it's *way* better than nothing.
>
>  Imagine a barter-level ebay. That'd be interesting.

Good points ahave been made here.

>> That said, The national economy will be unable to afford it.
>
>  Cell phones were expensive toys when introduced to Western countries.
> But in areas that hadn't invested in wired infrastructures, well, cell
> phones have made the difference between phone service and none at all,
> particularly as economies of scale and technological improvements have
> brought the unit cost down.
>
>  We might be at the point now where a cheap, relatively durable laptop
> is feasible. Even if most people didn't use it to its full potential, we
> could well discover a lot of Ramanujans that way.

You has me look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanujan's_continued_fractions

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
  5:10pm  up  13:21,  11 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.96, 0.83