Re: 6 Versions of Vista - Are they nuts?

On 2006-02-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In Linux, it is a true treasure to have many different tools for any given
> task. What I had in mind when I wrote this were incosistent paths and
> conventions. That continues to pose a barrier in front of those that wish to
> migrate from one distribution to another or even build a single binary or
> installation package that works seamlessly in a variety of environment. I am
> a devloper myself, bear in mind.

 There is still work to be done there. Most apps don't have it too bad,
though. More esoteric ones like VMWare Player are a bit awkward to set
up on the less popular distributions, I'll freely admit. But the rate of
improvement is dramatic, and compared to, say, the differences between
the proprietary Unixes, it's night and day.

> As regards "abnormal" [...] *nix is rather different.
> It is free, it's is Open and, being an /extended/ family, it has many
> identities.

 So "abnormal" in a good way. :->

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

 "Sure, it's easy to achieve partial obfuscation through pure stupidity,
  but for complete, systematic retardation, you need hard working great
              thinkers that put their best effort into it."
                   - Fredrik Johansson, on Windows NT