Re: List with CSS

__/ [ Brent Atkerson ] on Monday 27 February 2006 17:59 \__

> Posted this over in alt.html.css but did not receive any responses,
> wondered if someone here might be able to help.

alt.html.css is merely a cave. No-one lives there, I imagine, as it doesn't
even exist on my local news server. The newsgroup you are after is probably:
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets . Many gurus therein.

> Could someone please tell me how to make this
> http://www.anrodscreen.com/plain-weave-wire-cloth-proposed.php tabled list
> into a list with CSS?

This lists seems to be suitably structured. It *is* tabular data. CSS is
often used as a replacement for tables as page layout elements. If you want,
you could make the table look neater using CSS. For example:

> I have come part way, just can't get over the hump...
> This close http://www.anrodscreen.com/completely%20css.php (the stuff in
> white...)
>

> Thank you,

I am not sure there is much to be gained. If I use Mozilla/Netscape-based
browsers to copy from the former page/example, I get:

,----[ Selection ]
| MESH           WIRE DIAMETER           WIDTH OF OPENING        NOMINAL MICRON RATING
PERCENT OPEN AREA        MATERIALS AVAILABLE
| 3x3   .047    .286    ..      73.80   SS
| 4x4   .025    .225    ..      81.00   G
`----

For the modified page, I get:

 ,----[ Selection ]
|    * MESH
|     * WIRE DIAMETER
|     * WIDTH OF OPENING
|     * NOMINAL MICRON RATING
|     * PERCENT OPEN AREA
|     * MATERIALS AVAILABLE
|
|     * 3x3
|     * .047
|     * .286
|     * ..
|     * 73.80
|     * SS
|     * .047
|
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
|     * .047
`----

This is probably not what the visitor wants because (s)he has just lost the
table structure and it needs re-arranging.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  6:00pm  up  14:11,  11 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.61, 0.74