Re: Beware Kbear!

__/ [ Robert Kopp ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 05:57 \__

> I have SuSE 10.0 installed and usually use KDE. I was attempting to use
> Kbear as an FTP client, but then noticed afterward that the icons in the
> panel had disappeared or been scattered around. I fixed this, then
> attempted to use Kbear again, and the same thing happened.
>
> After that, I downloaded and compiled gFTP.
>
> rpm -e kbear

>From my short experience with KBear and also word-of-mouth, KBear is
bug-riddled and awkward to use. It's a bear.

I suspect that KBear does not multi-thread transfers, which is a huge
overkill if you deal with large transfer. Multi-threading can speed things
up by two order of magnitude. Konqueror and gFTP multi-thread admirably
well. I believe that Windows XP is the only version from Microsoft (as yet)
that does so too.

I use KDE, but opted for gFTP. FireZilla is acceptable if you can tolerate a
few quirks and bugs and if all transfers are rather small. It's
Firefox-integrated, as the name implies.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:50am  up 1 day  4:01,  8 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.78, 0.70