Re: Microsoft Intercepts Linux Torrents

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:57:43 +0000
<du1og0$15hc$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 14:56 \__
>
>> On 2006-02-28, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 13:24 \__

>>> You mean "server f*ck"?
>>
>> DING DING DING DING DING
>>
>> Microsoft: The Taliban of the software world.
>
> Why?

Review recent history.

[1] One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them, one OS to
    bring them all and in their ignorance bind them, in the
    land of PC, where the shadows lie.

    (There are several variants of this meme.  The meme
    may be totally false -- AFAICT Microsoft just wants to
    make money, although one can argue both sides here --
    but the thought processes creating such are slightly
    illustrative.  There is also www.errorwear.com, which
    suggests that there's enough people out there angry
    at Microsoft to make showing a very obvious failing a
    paying proposition.  There's also the large secondary
    market for virus eradication and protection -- a market
    that Microsoft has now entered.  Hmm....)

[2] The Taliban (or Taleban) ruled Afghanistan for a short
    time and succeeded in destroying two rather historical
    (and big) Buddhist statues.  They were and are also
    very restrictive regarding women's issues such as
    education.  In short: the Taliban way or the highway.
    Fortunately, they were ousted; unfortunately they are
    attempting a comeback.

[3] Microsoft is not even close as bad as the Taliban
    (certainly they don't appear to have political
    ambitions, though it is on a number of standards
    committees) although I for one think Linux and Apple
    are keeping them honest, on the desktop. :-) But there
    is a certain thoughtpattern at times that suggests that
    Microsoft would love to get into everything one does.
    I'll admit I can't think of anything horribly specific
    beyond that very old attempt to scare people into
    abandoning 4DOS in the Win3.1 timeframe -- a scare that
    apparently worked -- and of course the many allegations
    of varying authenticity from posters on this newsgroup.
    Including myself, of course. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's still legal to go .sigless.