Re: Google Computers - Hardware Coming to Town

__/ [Big Bill] on Wednesday 04 January 2006 11:23 \__

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 06:36:07 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [WhoTurnedOffTheLights] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 19:18 \__
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Walmart? If true, then I wonder how many others had turned down their
>>> ideas before they had to settle for something like Walmart. I don't
>>> exactly see folks rushing to the electronics section of Walmart these
>>> days. Locally, Folks with half a brain would sooner head over to more
>>> well known electronics stores as well as reputable online merchants. But
>>> then again, I CAN see Tigerdirect selling a Google Box.
>>

>>I think that Google aim for the not-so-IT-savvy crowd.
>
> I'll let you know :-(

This can easily be misinterpreted when snipped out of context *smile*. What I
meant to say was that Google's target audience for the 'Walmart Google PC'
should be those who seek inexpensive solutions. Those whose career depends
on their workstation are less likely to opt for such a computer unless
Google release a high-end box in tandem.

I am guessing that most of Google's boxes 00those that collect dust in large
datacentre -- are built to be cheap, which in turns enables Google to buy
more (thereby accumulating more storage, do more crawling, etc.). No
software licences are needed either. I would not be surprised if datacentres
(not only Google's) got accommodated with some otherwise 'junk yard 486'
PC's. At least they serve someone.

Cost-effective computing at Google pays off, albeit it serves a different
purpose year. It's affordability for customers and scalability for Google.

__/ [Big Bill] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 15:37 \__

> [SNIP]
>
>>Maybe it's just an attempt to gnaw at the competitor's share and maybe an
>>attempt to invade a new sector for good. It stirs many thoughts in one's
>>mind. Google Mini, Google O/S, Java Runtime Environment...
>
> The Google Segway approaches!

*LOL*

I have always thought they preferred scooters and bouncy balls in the
hallway. There are reasons why the Googleplex doors are kept locked.