Re: search for one word near another, like Altavista used to?

  • Subject: Re: search for one word near another, like Altavista used to?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:32:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.search
__/ [efffemm@xxxxxx] on Thursday 05 January 2006 08:53 \__

> Before Overture took over Altavista, it had a NEAR search option,
> i.e. you could look for pages with one word near another, rather
> than just in the same document.
> I found it useful.
> Do any other search engines offer this now?

I think not, but proximity is accounted for when ranking results in most
search engines. If you were to search for "TERM1 TERM2" in a search engine,
allinttitle, allintext and the like would definitely play a role. However,
the closer together TERM1 and TERM2 are, the higher that factor will be in
term of its value.

I don't think you can change the weighting on the factor though, e.g. by
using keywords such as NEAR. I agree it was useful. Minuses and pluses seem
to have been dropped as well. Enclosing quotes rarely help either.
Punctuation is yet another deficiency.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
  6:25am  up 27 days 13:36,  14 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.72, 0.77