Re: IMac Running Ubuntu (Originally was: What am I doing wrong?)

__/ [Rick] on Sunday 08 January 2006 12:43 \__

> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:37:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> (snip)
>> Is  it  really possible with Ubuntu? I have an iMac with similar specs  at
>> work  and I have let it off the hook a month ago. It never gets used,  let
>> alone  touched. I migrated all the mail (work stuff) to Thunderbird on the
>> desktop nearby. It runs Ubuntu Linux. Maybe I can have both a Dell machine
>> and an iMac side-by-side, both running Linux. Do you see the irony? Apple?
>> Dell?  I'll  do it Monday. I've got a pile of Breezy, but I wonder  how
>> Linux runs with one mouse button...
>>
> Sheesh. Use a multi-button mouse.

I don't have any spare USB mice, so would have to purchase one; I have some
crappy PS/2 ones. Besides that, another concern came to mind. The mouse in
iMacs connects directly (via USB) to the side of the keyboard, which itself
connects to a single USB port on the main unit. I don't know how the Linux
kernel handles this combination. Furthermore, I think there are only two USB
ports on the unit. This means that none will be available for peripherals
other than the keyboard and mouse, unless one temporarily disconnects
one/both.

I am still tempted to try it, even just to see the look on the Macheads'
faces. It's almost as satisfying as showing them a new GBP 150 Intel box
running Tiger. Can make them sob...

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - This afternoon I discovered that a fitness trainer, who knows nothing
about computers, took my advice and purchased an iBook (G4) as his new and
first laptop. He likes it. I told him it would be simple. At lease I pulled
him out of the ruthless monopoly...

http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1194

                                               (Another format war)