Re: Default OS should be Linux

__/ [B Gruff] on Monday 09 January 2006 16:47 \__

> On Monday 09 January 2006 04:37 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I am seeing more and more companies in Manchester which sell computers as
>> merely hardware. There is an additional cost for a Windows licence and
>> installation (GBP ~75), so one can opt out.
>
> Many thanks for that, Roy.  I was born and raised about 15 miles from
> Manchester, and actually worked with some of the guys who themselves had
> worked on the MK1.  Great to know that the old town is still leading the
> pack:-)

Wow. I never would have guessed! You headers give away nothing.

> What you describe is exactly what I have said I'd like to see, and if
> everyone was doing it that way, then I'd see some validity in various
> claims that "the world chooses MS":-)
>
> Interesting, do you not think, that more and more companies are finding it
> viable/desirable/optimal to do as you describe?
>
> Bill

I am not aware of the levels of FUD elsewhere. I know of a few other towns
where Linux is inexistent. Even familiarity with it is rare. Believe it or
not,  in  certain countries a screenshot from Mac OS X or Linux seems  un-
earthly.

Regarding  your  latter point, companies are made of people and by  having
people use Linux at home, Linux will sooner or later penetrate the majori-
ty  of  businesses. This relationship is reciprocal. Give the lady at  the
checkout  OpenOffice or a KDE terminal and she will demand Linux from  her
husband.

Habits  change,  stereotypes break, preferences evolve. I sometimes  think
that  simply having Linux on my screen ((even idle) if enough to give peo-
ple a taste of Linux. Sooner or later they know they must have it. What is
a  big. Worst promotional demo /ever/. With Windows, stripped down widgets
and eye candy are barely an option (unless you count DOS).

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:00pm  up 30 days  0:11,  14 users,  load average: 1.05, 0.95, 0.93