Re: [News] Linux in Archeology

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 01 July 2006 07:01 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Uncovering progress in FOSS-based archeology
>>
>> LOL! For a second there, I thought you were going to post that they'd
>> unearthed a 100 million year old fossilized copy of Slackware. :)
>
> Well, you can spin that many ways. One day in the future, Linux users will
> need to acquire archaeology skills in order to recover the older days when
> software from Microsoft walked this earth. They say that dinosaurs are hard
> to identify underground. Bill Gates has embraced precations. He has funded
> the Museum of Computing, which is intended for glorification of his own work
> (hiding all the nasty bits), assuming that computing is synonymous with
> Windows.

I've posted a few times in the past that I believe that RMS will be
heralded, in generations to come, as the visionary who managed to bring
software back to the people, just as Sir Clive Sinclair made computing
hardware affordable to the masses.  You might not be aware that the
Sinclair BIOSes and so on are all on a free licence for duplication and
use, and have been for several years now!

Bill Gates will be seen as another American monopolist, probably the
best ever, in that he managed to establish his monopoly not just over
the US, but, with the support of the US Government, over much of the
industrialised world, and even managed to gain partial market control in
the world's poorest regions.

Microsoft themselves are rather like the European Dark Ages, where
innovation stopped, a religion took hold which only permitted one answer
to any question, and it took the Age of EnGNUlightenment to bring the
dark ages to an end, and topple the bishops and feudal lairds from
their ill-gotten gains.  We have Richard "Robin Hood" Stallman, Eric
"Zorro" Stallman, Linus "Cromwell" Torvalds... they will be remembered
for very very different reasons, but mostly for the "New Model Army"
of open-source software developers, and their common-man's development
model.

Mother told me to be good but she's been wrong before.