Re: [News] How Do Different Operating Systems Treat the CPU?

  • Subject: Re: [News] How Do Different Operating Systems Treat the CPU?
  • From: Jamie Hart <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:50:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:13:54 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Uptimes project

http://uptimes-project.org/hosts/os_breakdown

One among several interesting statistics:

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating System      Average CPU Load
| BeOS                  15%
| Darwin                65%
| Embedded              99%
| FreeBSD               2%
| Linux                 2%
| mIRC                  0%
| OpenBSD               3%
| OpenVMS               17%
| OpenVMSClust          5%
| OS/2                  14%
| Unknown               0%
| Windows               35%
`----

Linux is favoured by many criteria.

What meaningless tripe. You have no idea what else may have been running at the time. Perhaps many of the same machines running the uptimes-project client were also running other clients, like SETI or Folding @home, or maybe the Windows machines were actually being used, same with the Darwin (aka OSX) machines.

I agree, The figures posted here are completely meaningless. though not for the reasons you state.

The problem is, those average CPU loads are for the uptime of the machines in that category. Without the corresponding uptime (and probably system specs) we can't work out what's good and what's bad.

So let's try comparing like with like.

Windows

System: Mone
Average uptime: 19 Days 20 Hours 11 Minutes
Average CPU: 25%

Linux

System: Monster
Average uptime: 84 Days 12 Hours 24 Minutes
Average CPU: 29%

This is about as close a match as I could find, machine wise (I'm assuming monster is a 500Mhz PIII), it still says nothing about what exactly is running on each machine, Monster probably has to take an image from the webcam at regular intervals and ftp it to a webpage, other than that, no information on application software is given.

So, looks to me like to fairly similar machines have fairly similar average CPU load regardless of the operating sytem they're running.

The only real difference seems to be average uptime, and that can probably be attributed to the windows box needing to be rebooted after system updates.

All in all, although it's a single sample (I can't be bothered trawling through all the machines to find more of similar spec) it seems that the 2.6 linux kernel and Windows XP/SP2 run about the same on similar hardware.

BTW, take all this with a grain of salt, you could probably find data in there to support any theory you'd like to put forward.