Re: Firefox Operating System - Based on Linux?

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 06 July 2006 14:15 \__

> Further quote:
> ----------
> ...if you had a development cycle for a Firefox OS, and you had 10
> percent of the computers in the world going out with Fire OS on it,
> then we would see some improvements in this corporation in Redmond.
> Because they don't improve and they don't innovate unless they have
> somebody taking apart their market share.... you could really do
> something that looked like Windows, worked better than Windows.
> Microsoft installed spyware called Genuine Advantage to 100 million
> Windows users in April, May and June. They're just starting to fall
> back from that, but people would trust Firefox and Mozilla far more
> than they trust the Microsoft Corp. with the integrity of their
> computers."
> --------
> End quote

This very much reminds me of something else that Blake recently said in an
interview:

,----[ Quote ]
| The truth is I think Microsoft is very directly responsible for spyware
| and adware and the pop-up ads in general that proliferated across the
| Web after they abandoned their product. I mean, this is the world's
| most-used software application ever ... and I just think it's
| irresponsible for a company to abandon it simply because they can't
| find a financial incentive to continue development on it.
|
| [...]
|
| My answer to that is, how much can you really trust a company that five
| years ago completely left you abandoned? If they do, in fact, succeed in
| taking back some of the market share that Firefox has gotten back from
| them, who's to say that they're not going to disappear again? My issue
| is not so much at a product level; it's at a company level. How do you
| trust a company that left everyone out in the cold for five years?
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276185_software03.html

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
  3:00pm  up 69 days 20:03,  11 users,  load average: 1.67, 1.83, 1.64